Friday, November 28, 2008

What I'm thankful for

...that I feel a rush of excitement when a bunch of numbers and graphs start to reveal the workings of an ancient ecosystem and the engine of creation.

...that technology enables me to be across the Atlantic Ocean, but still feel connected to my loved ones, even if I still feel a homesick longing to sit down to turkey with my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, mom, dad and brother.

...that while I haven't been home for two Thanksgivings I was able to experience other cultures in celebration (in Brazil and Germany) and in normalcy. That next year I will be able to participate in setting up the tree and finally watch "It's a Wonderful Life."

...that I have made friends of Germans, Americans, French, Canadians and Belgians. That they welcomed me and have helped me with the language, making this place a home for year.

...for the endless questions that continue to bombard me. That I grew up in a family that supported my thunks and encouraged learning something new every day.

...that in less than a month I will see my family and get to show them the place we called home once upon a time before our ancestors set out for a life in America where they created families privileged enough to come back and visit.

Thanksgiving makes a lot of sense now. The pilgrims didn't know what they were in for, but were committed to making it work. They found guides and support from the locals who wanted to share their own culture. Sitting down together in friendship and struggle - I feel I can start to tap into that joy.

Thanks.

No comments: